What Does Male Hormone Replacement Do?
According to the Harvard Health Publications at Harvard Medical School, men hit their peak testosterone level around the age of 17. Thereafter, testosterone levels plateau, until about the 30s and 40s, when the levels begin to slowly slide. By the time a man is about 80 years old, his testosterone levels will be approximately half of what they were when they he was in his prime.
The result of decreased testosterone levels in men is andropause, or “male menopause.” This condition can cause a number of problems, including:
- Muscle loss
- Weight gain
- Hot flashes
- Decreased sex drive
- Hair loss
- Depression or moodiness
- Erectile dysfunction
- Memory loss or cognitive impairment
- Difficulty with urination
- Fragile bones
- Insulin resistance
- Increased distribution of fat
- Decreased muscle strength and/or muscle mass
Fortunately, there is a way to combat decreasing testosterone levels: Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) for men.
What is HRT for Men?
Hormone replacement therapy for men is a customized treatment program, which can include one or more of the following:
- Nutritional guidance and support
- Health and fitness programs that are customized to a male’s individual needs
- A thorough analyses of lab results, symptoms, and family history that is related to testosterone levels
- Extensive hormone level testing
- Testosterone replacement in the form of gel, injection, implants, mouth patches or transdermal patches.
Depending on the results of an individual’s hormone level testing, as well as his side effects, medical professionals who have received extensive training in natural bioidentical hormones for men will decide the best HRT program. Hormone testosterone replacement therapy has been approved by the FDA for the treatment of abnormally low testosterone levels in men, or hypogonadism.
Types of Male HRT Available
There are different types of hormone replacement therapies available for men, which include:
- Injections of testosterone, which can be administered through the muscular joints every two to three weeks.
- The application of daily testosterone patches worn on the body, such as on the back, arms, abdomen, buttocks, or mouth. These patches are worn on a daily basis.
- Topical testosterone gels, which can be applied onto the shoulders, arms, or abdomen.
Benefits of Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men
Testosterone replacement therapy is targeted for the treatment of hypogonadism, a condition of abnormally low testosterone levels. There are many benefits associated with hormone replacement therapy for men. The most notable benefits is that it may result in a:
- Reduction in LDL (the bad) cholesterol
- Increase in HDL (the good) cholesterol
- Reduction in body mass index
- Reduction of triglycerides
- Improvement of HDL (the good) cholesterol
- Increased sex drive
- Increased sexual performance
- Increased muscle
- Increased lean body mass
- Reduction in body fat
Do You Qualify for Hormone Replacement for Men?
Men who have been diagnosed with a testosterone deficiency may be eligible for hormone replacement therapy. In order to determine if you are eligible, a thorough analysis of your testosterone levels, as well as your overall health, must be completed by your medical professional.
If you would like to learn more about Testosterone Hormone Replacement Therapy, please call us at Savannah Age Management Medicine at 912-925-6911 or complete our contact form by clicking here.